Monday, July 18, 2011

Hospital Moments

The girls and I worked up on the Maternity Ward this afternoon doing baths and cord care. These Mothers have their babies so bundled up that they are sweating! If we don't cover them with the blanket afterwards the mom says, "The bebe is cold!" I want to tell them, "No..you live in Africa. You're baby is fine….trust me!" We also inquire how breast feeding is going, and if they have any questions or need any help. Here in Liberia they don't understand, "How is your baby breastfeeding?" You have to say, "How da Bebe suck?!" It is quite humorous. The mothers are appreciative and are eager to learn. One mom who had two children at home already, told the girls how much she learned and how she would do EVERYTHING they had taught her once she was home. She kept asking where we got the soap we were using, and the towels, and the wash cloths so she could go out and buy the EXACT same thing. We love hearing those words. It makes us feel like we are actually doing something worthwhile.
The staff nurses and ladies in the laundry department are getting used to us and also thank us for our service. I love it- it makes me smile! I have grown to love all my little friends at the hospital. I introduced all my kids to the administer of laundry, named Grace, and she insists they call her Auntie Grace. She has four children of her own also, one boy and three girls, so she probably feels a small connection with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment