Saturday, July 9, 2011

First night with the Twins

Last night Hattie and Harrison woke up at 12:00, 2:00 and 4:30, crying and wanting to be fed. They shouldn't have gotten up the first time; MC stayed awake listening for the babies, and the moment one of them made a noise she rushed out of her room, swooped over their bed and grabbed them out! She burst through mine and Meg's door and flipped on the light urgently whispering, "The babies! They were crying! They are HUNGRY!" Meg and I tumbled out of bed half awake, and told her that our door was open and we didn't hear them crying. But since they were awake we fed them anyways.
I changed their diapers and Meg got their bottles ready and heated. We fed them and burped them, and before long they were back asleep. I swear the hours turned into minutes in between each feeding...I felt like a zombie. When it was time to wake up I felt nauseous and told Meg, "I don't even wanna get up! I want to sleep ALL day!"
-G.G.



This morning GG and I had to wake up at 5:50 to catch a ride at 6:30. This was TERRIBLE because we were both exhausted. I find that being a Mom is a lot harder than it looks. I felt like I was going to die when our alarm clock went off! I now have a great amount of respect for all you mothers out there!
GG and I were invited to go out to a place called RobertsPort with several of the fiends we have made here. It is about 2 hours away, and we had to pass through an immigration checkpoint. The officer flagged us down and asked for our passports so he could log them in his "book" that was inside the office. Minutes later he motioned for our driver to come over to him. We were all thinking "GREAT, they think our passports are fake and now we're going to get arrested." It turns out the office was locked, and he didn't have the key. So he gave us some Liberty (Liberian Dollars) and we were on our way. After almost three hours of driving we finally reached RobertsPort beach-our final destination. We had taken a wrong turn and drove an extra 45 minutes further into the heart of Africa. It was quite the little adventure.
The beach we hung out at all day was really nice. It was clean, secluded, and had neat land marks. We swam for a while, went on a walk down the beach, took lots of pictures and went through an old church that we came across. The weather graciously turned from gray, cloudy and rainy, to bright and sunny. We were all SO excited, that I guess we forgot to put sunscreen on when the sun came out.
We left around 3:30 and went out to dinner at The Sajj. Their food is so delicious. It's a good thing they don't serve lobster...because GG and I had that covered! We were burnt to a crisp and red like a beet! (At this point you are free to laugh) I think I'll open one back in Washington:) After dinner we all drove to our friends house that has a projector and huge screen, and watched the cartoon movie Tangled. It was a really fun day, except for when we got home and Mom saw our sunburns. We were locked away in our rooms with nothing but aloe vera and minimal clothing for the next two days. Not really. But Aloe was my new cell phone...always by my side!
~Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment