Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Helping more at JFK

Today Mom, Dad, and I went to JFK after lunch to help out where we were needed in the NICU. Dad had to teach a class to some of the Doctors and Nurses as soon as we got there, so Mom and I went to his office and put together some binders that the NICU uses. It has all the information and notes about the patient and the mother inside of it. Before we brought in the binders and dividers, they had all the papers stapled together, or in a loose leaf open folder. This was really scrambled and things were often missing.
After finishing with the binders we went into the Nurses Station. There are three counters in this room, two are for the nurses, and one has all the loose pieces of paper that the unit uses. Such as Admittance forms, birth certificates, Doctors notes and orders etc. My mom and I brought in a big file folder accordion looking thing and placed all the papers inside here with individual labels. This left the whole rest of the counter open for use, and was a much more organized method of storage. The nurses were so thankful and loved it; we got lots of hugs from them.
Dad came in a little bit later and worked with a few of the babies. I got to help him dress a baby who had an omphalocele. It was very interesting and...different. But I learned a lot. He also taught me what he does when he examines the babies, and I got to try. I have learned a lot here, things that I would have definitely not been able to in the States. After we left the hospital we stopped at a street vendor shop and bought some scrubs for me (and GG). Now we can look official!
~Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment